Recent Changes

Tuesday, April 13

  1. page Members edited Member List Name - email - Close enough to Kent to meet once a month/once a quarter? - Best tim…

    Member List
    Name - email - Close enough to Kent to meet once a month/once a quarter? - Best time for kick off meeting
    Chris Oliver - colive12@kent.edu - Yes, I live in Kent - Any day/anytime works for me. Traveling end of April and beginning of May

    (view changes)
    9:50 pm
  2. page Meeting with Andrew Hinton IA Summit 10 edited Meeting Notes Presented Andrew Hinton with summary of Kent Chapter proposal He liked it and wa…

    Meeting Notes
    Presented Andrew Hinton with summary of Kent Chapter proposal
    He liked it and was glad we had some ideas on how we wanted to move forward
    Andrew Hinton gave some background for IAI's Student Chapter initiative
    IAI is trying to provide some structure for regional IAI groups along the lines of IxDA and UPA
    Improve the links between students in the US and international programs
    Trying to find ways to improve mentoring program
    IAI is a volunteer organization - how can students help the organization?
    For the future of IAI and the IA community - how can IAI help current students
    He was going to be on the IAI board for another six months and would like to act as sponsor for Student Chapters to help get us the resources we need - but not as a coordinator.
    How can IAKM students in the US provide information for practitioners outside of the US. Programs like IAKM are rare outside the US
    Explain IA
    IA/UXD topics
    He said he would make sure that when he left the IAI board he would make sure that there would be someone fully briefed on our activities to take over
    Discussed internship/co-op possibilities
    Dan Brown talked about his experience hiring interns for his web design company and perceived lack of practical skill set
    We discussed ways that industry/current practitioners could better communicate what they're looking for in new hires
    IAKM students gave quick personal introductions
    Next Steps discussed at metting
    Set up a meeting schedule - AH thought once a month might be good at the beginning but too intense of a schedule would lead to burnout
    Select a point person for communication with IAI
    IAI website is in transition - Kent chapter will have some sort of dedicated section on their new Drupal website
    **
    Things for Kent Chapter to discuss
    **
    Activities
    webinars - ideas for speakers?
    Projects
    the website
    book club
    presentation to the group by those us attending local events
    What would we want on our IAI website section?
    Student bios
    Portfolios
    Alumni info
    Papers/Thesis
    Some sort of collaborative project
    IAI volunteer work
    Meeting schedule
    Who can meet in person? Who can only meet remotely?
    Times?

    (view changes)
    9:43 pm

Friday, February 12

  1. page home edited ... how it could facilitate professional development and networking how it could set and hold vir…
    ...
    how it could facilitate professional development and networking
    how it could set and hold virtual and/or physical meetings
    ...
    the Information Architecture
    Architecture
    Institute
    how the Information Architecture Institute could provide value to student
    chapter members: e.g., webinar discounts, publisher discounts,
    reduced membership costs for related associations, publishing
    student portfolios

    how it can collaborate with professional members of the Institute
    how it will collaborate with other chapters
    (view changes)
    2:26 pm
  2. page home edited ... how it could facilitate professional development and networking how it could set and hold vir…
    ...
    how it could facilitate professional development and networking
    how it could set and hold virtual and/or physical meetings
    ...
    the Information Architecture Institute
    how the Information Architecture Institute could provide value to student
    chapter members: e.g., webinar discounts, publisher discounts,
    reduced membership costs for related associations, publishing
    student portfolios

    how it can collaborate with professional members of the Institute
    how it will collaborate with other chapters
    (view changes)
    2:25 pm
  3. page home edited ... how it could set and hold virtual and/or physical meetings how it will work with or facilitat…
    ...
    how it could set and hold virtual and/or physical meetings
    how it will work with or facilitate the interests of the Information
    Architecture Institute
    how the Information Architecture Institute could provide value to student
    chapter members: e.g., webinar discounts, publisher discounts,
    (view changes)
    2:24 pm
  4. page home edited ... We can send out a questionnaire for students asking what they want from a student chapter &…
    ...
    We can send out a questionnaire for students asking what they want from a student chapter & how/when they want to communicate.
    We would record discussions/meetings for later access.
    ...
    such as WebX)WebEx) for discussions/meetings.
    Given that a lot of IA programs are online, a topic to explore is: what makes a good online experience pedagogically.
    We can try to hold a meeting at the IA Summit with those students who can attend and representatives of IAI.
    (view changes)
    2:23 pm

Thursday, February 11

  1. page home edited ... In attendance: Chris Oliver, Damon Herren, Jean Church, Cathy Carr, Holly Murphy, Dr. Froehlic…
    ...
    In attendance: Chris Oliver, Damon Herren, Jean Church, Cathy Carr, Holly Murphy, Dr. Froehlich
    The following are notes created by Holly Murphy and edited by Dr. Froehlich. If any notions or ideas have been misrepresented, please edit them. Also feel free to add ideas or elaborate on ideas or criticize ideas. After a certain level of ideas have been gathered, we can try to organize them and possibly create subpages for specific aspects. It would be good to have something to discuss at the IA Summit running from April 7 to 11.
    ...
    geographic locations.
    It is important to think outside the box, not only in terms of what IAI can offer or facilitate for students, but also students can do for IAI
    Some suggestions offered by attendees include:
    ...
    The group should have officers to make sure that the regular work or agenda of the chapter be accomplished .
    The chapter should have regular, virtual programs: perhaps monthly meetings, where leading working professionals or eminent figures can call in to a virtual meeting and do a presentation or talk to students about their books, projects, working experience, etc.
    Virtual meetings and webinars could include 3D Virtual Environments like Second Life. Dr Bedford is working with NASA and KM.gov on some webinars that will be viewable in SL… perhaps the group could help with and/or learn from those. IBM has invested a great deal in Web 3D and the experience with the “immersive internet” could be a plus for group members.
    We may want to call semiannual physical meetings, for local, regional or state-wide students.
    ...
    involve creating aa global group
    This might incorporate groups from Europe, Asia or other parts of the world.
    ...
    discuss the ** text and/or
    One could sponsor an open house to attract students or to inspire other schools to create chapters.
    It might be interesting to meet in second life, but it may be too complicated for initial meetings.
    (view changes)
    11:28 am

More